Sunday, December 23, 2012

Trust



This week my boy turned five. Why does “5” seem like such a big year. Is it just the start of school? Is it because of the shift in independence that I hear about? Perhaps it is the evolution from an animated-themed birthday party to all things football?

I am certain it has something to do with Kindergarten, independence and seeing him share the common ground of sports with his daddy. But for me I think it so huge because it is all about trust. (Let's be real, every day of parenting is about trust). As he starts to venture out from the shelter of this momma's wing, I have to trust that what we have spent the first four years pouring into him will yield the best possible return. I have to trust that he can respond without a glance toward mommy and daddy when he is asked a question. And when given choices, he will make decisions based on what he knows to be right and good. I have to trust that when he steps into that elementary school, his little life is in the hands of the One who holds all power and the ultimate victory.

It seems easy enough to say but where does this kind of trust come from? I wish I could say I have it within but the truth is…trusting in matters regarding those you love more than your own life can only come from looking toward the One who loves us all more than Himself. Doesn't it all-trust, loving our kids and Christmas for that matter all come back to the truth of John 3:16?

“For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so thatwhoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.” (John 3:16 AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment