Saturday, October 29, 2011

Race for the Cure



It is hard to put into words the experience of Sunday's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. As I think about all the people that were represented there (and that was just in Maryland), I realize there are so many people affected by Breast Cancer and I am not alone. But as I reflect on the sacrifice of all the family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors that came all the way up to Hunt Valley before dawn to support our family, I am truly humbled by the fact that they want to be sure I know that I am not alone. It was without a doubt one of the highlights of my journey, if not a highlight of my entire life.

In the end, Kara's Krew was made up of 49 members and we raised $5,845.00.  Come to find out if we had raised $5,000.00 before a certain date, we would have been able to have our own designated tailgate area. So, I guess we have a goal for ourselves for next year!  The morning was not without its complications with an accident on I-83 that shut down the highway and kept a few of our team members from making it to the race in time.  However, considering the huge numbers of people and the amazing sea of pink, Kara's Krew did a great job of finding each other.  I think I was able to get a picture with almost every member of the team. Please click on the link Race for the Cure in order to see pictures of the day because they really tell you more than any words can say.  

 I will be sad to say goodbye to October and certainly miss seeing all the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff around.  In an effort to maximize the month, we along with a few of our friends  decorated our trunk for Bay Area Community Church's Trunk or Treat with "Pink and Pumpkin" in order to spread the awareness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment