Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Considering It Pure Joy


I must admit that over the last few days I have been having a little more trouble "considering it pure joy" (James 1:2). I have been feeling kind of down and wrestling with some silly thoughts. One of the things that has really helped me since this journey began is to work. I work with some pretty amazing people and can honestly say that I love what I do as a physical therapist. Being able to focus on my patients and things that concern them has done wonders for me. Today was the perfect example of that. I have shared my news with all of my co-workers but have decided not to tell my patients until it is time for me to stop working to have my surgery (a day that will most likely be very tough for me). In two separate conversations with patients this morning, one shared that his wife was about to begin a journey through breast cancer treatment and the other spoke of having gone through a mastectomy 5 years ago. They were both encouraging stories. These patients may never know how much they lifted my spirits today and prepared me for my 1 o'clock Biopsy appointment.   

Today's biopsy of the axillary lymph node was a little more painful than the biopsy of the breast. I was afraid of that but there is no doubt that my prayer warriors were at work. Amy (ultrasound tech) and Dr. Pack took great care of me, and it seems that Dr. Pack was able to get the sample she needed despite the lymph node being in an extremely difficult spot. I will receive the results of the this biopsy no later than Friday, and it should help to give them more information about what is happening in the lymph nodes prior to surgery.

This brings me to the next big news of the day, I was given a surgery date. I was hoping to get to celebrate my birthday (8/28) before surgery but I also trust that God knows what is best for me. My surgery will be on Thursday, August 25th at 2:30 PM. We are at peace with this date, and it means that I plan to spend the next two weeks celebrating my 34th birthday! Of course, we ask for your prayers on that day but also for the time leading up to it as we work out the details of recovery time.  

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment