Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Faithful Guide


Lately, I have been reading a devotional book entitled Jesus Calling by Sarah Young in my time with the Lord.  The devotionals are written as if Jesus himself is speaking. Today's devotional said, "As you focus on your thoughts on Me, I will guide you carefully along today's journey. Don't worry about what is around the next bend. Just concentrate on enjoying My Presence and staying in step with Me."  

Based on the findings of my MRI from Wednesday, which showed a questionable area in the left breast and mild findings of the right axillary lymph nodes, I had an appointment to have an additional mammogram and sonogram this afternoon. This appointment proved to be a significant step on my journey. They were unable to detect anything in the left breast through mammogram or sonogram, and I was told that I would need to have a MRI biopsy of the left breast to be sure there is not cancer in that breast. I was also told that I would need to have another Ultrasound Biopsy of that one axillary lymph node that they were originally concerned about. 

They began to schedule these appointments when my Nurse Navigator came into the room to consult with me. She told me that if I decided to have a bilateral Mastectomy, I would not need to have the MRI biopsy of the left breast. She also told me that imaging of my left breast would be difficult for the rest of my life and I could anticipate having to undergoing these tests every 6 mos. in the future.  Based on some other details and information we had received from the Plastic Surgeon on Monday, we were leaning toward a bilateral Mastectomy by this point anyway. One of my prayers with each step of the journey has been for clarity and the promise that I feel God has spoken to me again and again is that He will direct my steps. He is faithful! Since we have decided that I will have the bilateral Mastectomy and Reconstruction, they have begun to start the scheduling process, and I might have an idea about my surgery date as early as Monday. 

As far as specific prayer concerns, please pray for my Ultrasound Biopsy on Wednesday, 8/10. Please pray that the Radiologist would be able to get the sample they need from the questionable lymph node and pray that it would show no cancer. I will also have a biopsy of the Sentinel node during surgery that will tell us more about the lymphatic system. However, a favorable outcome from Wednesday's biopsy would obviously be a really good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment