Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Day for Courage

According to Wikipedia, courage is the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, and intimidation. Cancer and surgery for cancer stir up some fear and uncertainty for me.  It even intimidates me.  The day(s) ahead will involve some danger and I am likely to experience pain. Therefore, I'd say this is a day for courage. The only way I know how to have courage is by clinging to the promises of an Almighty God who knows me and loves me beyond my comprehension. Deuteronomy 31:6 tells me "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of it, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  Isaiah 41:10 says "Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."

And I also know that "the earnest prayers of a righteous man or woman has great power and produces wonderful results" (James 5:16). Throughout yesterday and this morning, many of you have been sending sweet messages that you are praying for my surgery today. We appreciate your kind words and prayers more than you know.  There are a few specifics we ask that you might pray for this day: 1) That Jesus would be my portion for this morning as I am unable to eat or drink anything (even water) until surgery 2) That the pathology of the Sentinel node/nodes would show no cancer (we will get results early next week) 3) That the surgeons would have clear minds and strong hands as they work on me 4) That we would make some new friends and bless those that will be taking care of me at AAMC  5) That the waiting time for Blake and my parents would go quickly and they would feel the Lord's presence with them and 5) That our kids would feel secure in their normal routine while being cared for by other family/friends.  And please don't limit your prayers to these. I am sure there are things I have not even thought of that you will. 

Oh and one more thing for this day...in the words of one of the most inspirational speakers our time, Coach Eric Taylor (of NBC's Friday Night Lights)  "Clear eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment