Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Wind in my Sails


Over the last several weeks at Bay Area Community Church, we have been hearing sermons about marriage, and this was all to lead up to a marriage conference called the Art of Marriage this weekend.  Blake and I had been talking about going but were having some difficulty finding childcare. Between hearing last week's news and listening to last Sunday's sermon, we were quickly convinced that the conference was where we were supposed to be this weekend.  My parents gave us the sweet gift of taking our kids away for the weekend so we could really enjoy this time together and not be distracted from all that God wanted to teach us.  

In our 8 years of marriage, I have found little to complain about my husband. But if there is anything I could pick on him for, it would be his lack of emotion. One of the speakers at the conference said something that struck me. He said, "Sometimes the things we love the most about someone are the same things we choose to pick on." I am immediately taken back to last Friday when we met with Dr. Tafra to hear the biopsy results and treatment plan. Blake had just been told that his wife had cancer and he was able to remain clear-headed enough to spend the next 60 or so minutes asking her questions. As Dr. Tafra stood up to leave the room, she gave me a hug and she said to me, "You have a wonderful husband and he has asked really good questions. This will serve you very well as you walk through this."  I already knew I had a wonderful husband but the wisdom, strength and love he has shown since this trial began has only caused me to admire him more.  

Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."

No comments:

Post a Comment