Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4: October is one of my favorite months of the year.



I must admit I have always had mixed feelings concerning Fall. September steals my beloved summer from me and leaves me with brisk mornings and darker evenings. But a break from the sweaty and sticky is sometimes welcomed. The color change of the leaves is most certainly one of God's most amazing details of creation; however, raking and bagging the fallen leaves is a serious chore. The darkness of what Halloween represents often leaves me feeling depressed; on the other hand, I am always up for a trip to the pumpkin patch or a creative carving party.

It wasn't until last year that October took on a whole new meaning for me. I was two treatments of chemo in and in the process of losing my hair when everywhere I turned I saw pink. It was as if each glimpse of a pink ribbon was a cheer to keep pressing on. This year they are reminders of a time in my life that I hope I will never forget. A time of undeniable struggle but also a time of undeniable growth.

Because of that growth, I cannot enter an October without trying to make a difference in the lives of others who have faced or are currently facing breast cancer (and there are many out there). Sure, a cure would be fantastic. Increased awareness so loved ones regularly check themselves would be great too! But what I really want my breast cancer sisters to know is that the real Hope is that Jesus is there to hold their hands through one of the hardest journeys they will ever know. Now October means 31 Days and I have yet one more opportunity to share that.


No comments:

Post a Comment