Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6: Hair or no hair, I will always be "Mommy".


I had several fears about losing my hair which I am sure you will hear more about in my future posts. I think my greatest fear was that my kids would view me differently. I was so concerned they would see me as some kind of freak with my bald head. I imagined having to wear a scarf or hat even at home because I didn't want the kids to be uncomfortable.

In a desperate effort to make it more comfortable for them, we gathered them around and made a fun video of mom getting her head shaved. They got a kick out of it for about 3 minutes (maybe) and then they were on to something else. Occasionally we would talk about the silliness of it all, but truthfully they never seemed to think much about why I didn't have any hair.

During that time, I realized that I had projected my own fears onto my kids and caused myself needless anxiety. (It probably won't be the last time I do it either.) Their world was safe and secure as far as they knew it, and mommy's hugs felt the same regardless of how many hairs she had on her head. Thank you, Jesus. 

Koa and Mommy right after our shaving adventure 

No comments:

Post a Comment