Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 6


The days leading up to my breast cancer surgery were frightening.  I remember trying to walk that fine line between wanting to prepare myself for what was ahead but also not wanting to scare myself with too much internet research.  One of the most helpful things I did was call my best friend’s mom who had walked through it a few years before me.  She gave me a few pieces of priceless advice and followed it up with a package in the mail of button down pajamas.  I was so grateful for the preparation she and a few others offered me that I decided I would one day do the same for others.  With 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 in mind, a few of my friends and I started putting together “kits” to give/send to women who had been diagnosed with breast cancer and were facing surgery like mine. 

The “kits” include:
  • A letter written by me-to offer encouragement and outline a few helpful tips
  • Button down pajamas-for easy access to the drains during the first two weeks of recovery
  • A bar of white Dial Soap-for bathing to protect against infection
  • A small journal and pen-to record medications and fluid collected from the drains
  • “Pink” Flannel-to be put against the skin/incisions and under the Jobst surgical bra. 
  • “Pink” sack-to hold the drains during bathing
  •  Jesus Calling by Sarah Young- the devotional that I read throughout my journey which now holds extreme significance for me 


As much as I hate to learn of another woman that is facing treatment for breast cancer, I feel privilege and experience blessing every time I get to help lighten the burden by providing these kits. This is a ministry that I hope to be able to continue for many years to come. Stay tuned for more info on how you might be able to help make that happen. If you know of someone that is facing breast cancer surgery and would like me to send one of our kits, please contact me at Karaham@gmail.com.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all of our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort ourselves have received from God.” 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment