Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 7



Every morning, I reach to the window sill above my kitchen sink to grab two of these big pink pills. I do this because my oncologist has recommended that a daily dose of Calcium + Vitamin D can help prevent recurrence of breast cancer. Of course, I will seize any and every opportunity to ward off those nasty cancers cells.

This is precisely why every nighttime routine now includes swallowing the little white hormone blocker, Tamoxifen. It is why I have significantly reduced my intake of red meat, increased my intake of spinach, and completely eliminated my intake of soda. It is why I subject myself to “insane” workouts 5-6 times a week. It also why we attempt to shop and cook Organic as much as possible (or at least as much as the grocery budget allows). It is why I stopped using deodorant for a while (you might be pleased to hear that I have started using it again.)

I don't think any of these choices are in vain but the truth of the matter is that I don't know.  I don't think any of us really do. Why are so many more women being diagnosed with breast cancer? Why when it used to be more common in post-menopausal women, are so many younger women now being diagnosed? Why are so many people being diagnosed with all types of cancer?

While I don't believe there is anything wrong with asking such questions and certainly nothing wrong with making healthier choices to prevent recurrence, it really isn't the point. I don't believe I walked my journey to come out on the other end asking these questions. I do believe the point is that life is full of hard stuff. In fact, Jesus said himself in John 16:33 that in this life we will experience trouble. My cancer could return and cancer might not even be the worst of it for our family. The most important point is that there is One who has already overcome it all and through Him I can overcome whatever comes as well. When I choose to open my hands and trust this, that is when I find Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment