Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 17



I have mentioned before my previous aversion to the color pink. Prior to my breast cancer journey, there was one other time in my life when I couldn't have been happier to be surrounded by pink. A little over 4 years ago we met our baby girl, Kalea Mei. We had chosen to be in the dark about the gender of both of our kids throughout the pregnancies. I didn't have any strong feeling either way when I was prego with number #2, but I think I had convinced myself that it was a boy as a protective mechanism. Deep down I really hoped that I would have a girl.

In hoping for a girl, I never imagined I would have such a girlie girl on my hands. Being quite the tomboy myself at her age, my mom tells me that I refused to wear dresses. Meanwhile, Kalea has a drawer full of jeans that will likely never see the light of day. The struggle in my house currently is convincing my girl that wearing nothing but a Tinkerbell bathing suit to run the neighborhood is not exactly appropriate for October. I was repulsed by the idea of nail polish until I reached my college years. For Kalea, there is probably no better treat than to have her fingers and toes painted. Although, she claims her favorite color to be purple, the girl exemplifies pink.

And I am so happy she does. Although she is different from me in many ways, I like to think there are many ways we are the same. She loves people, loves to talk and loves to be a goofball (as you can see from the photo). Like me, she is also very much a momma's girl. I wonder if that will change with time but pray it never does. I feel so incredibly blessed to now be on the mom side of that very special bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment